понедельник, 28 августа 2017 г.

Drawing from nature

Drawing from a photo develops memory and observation. The Observance activates imagination and analytical thinking. I always tried to draw from my memory, because people told me - drawing from a photo is bad. So my works turned out to be crooked.

When you take a pencil in your hand for the first time with an idea of "now I'll draw something!", then in 90% of cases this "something" turns out to be a portrait. It's a bad idea to start drawing with an object that consists of a lot of processes - building, separation of forms, light and shadows relations, detailing. Now I'll tell you what and why we need to do on an example of drawing from nature.

I have these guys. I'm starting to make my drawing with simple shapes. When I'm creating a construction here, I'm not using simple geometric shapes - a cube, a ball, a cylinder or other - because I can't determine the shape of this guy. So I determine the height and width of each figure. And inside these frames we draw curves to create the silhouette of our guys.






 But how do we usually draw? We draw directly the details. For this reason we lose proportions and the figure gets askew.

Now we make the form as close to reality as possible. This looks more like it should. Now let's take a look at the details. There are no faces. I search for the darkest areas in the figures and draw them. Now I take a hard pencil and squint. Why? You will not believe, but in this way it will be easier for you to see where's the shadow and where's the light.

With a hard pencil, I note everything that is darker than the lightest areas. Do it slowly, turn the observation on, and we compare the drawn figure with the living figures for a hundred times . I did not notice immediately thay the most left guy has a light strip that goes through the whole back.
Where did these light areas appear from on the back of the figures? This light is coming from behind, from the monitor of my computer, because the guys are on the keyboard. Remember that the bright areas are the result of something that shines on them. If the portrait's lightest area is on the nose, it does not mean that everything around will be dark. The light source can be small (like a flashlight) or large (like a searchlight) and this affects the intensity of glare around the nose - lips, cheeks, eyelids and other. The main thing is observation. Observe very carefully and try to determine where the source of light is. Sometimes there is only one light source and there is no shine behind. And the picture looks flat as something is missing. In this case the reflex will help us.

So, I'm drawing on. I just look and draw what I see. In my mind-box now there is a form that I draw. I saw this form alive, it does not fit into the category of simple forms like a cube, ball, cone, cylinder or pyramid. But now I know how to draw it. That's the meaning of drawing from nature - in your head will be a big archive of useful materials. You will begin to understand how to build a form, where you need to look and what to look for. Just as you will begin to think when you draw from your imagination or from the photo-references. That is, you don't make a copy of the picture with the photo as a printer, and do the construction and think how you can make the drawing more voluminous.


How do we usually draw? Many people begin to draw a portrait from the eyes. Of course, the second eye will not be symmetrical, because the construction of the face begins with the construction of the head, and not with the details. Drawing from nature helps to understand the form and how it behaves under certain conditions- different number of light sources, different position in space, different intensity. Different materials have different degrees of reflectivity. Nature is like a drawing textbook without letters. But this textbook hides a lot of knowledge, if you're not lazy. A photo can tell lies. A photo may turn out to be of poor quality and may not have some basic details on it. Knowing the construction of forms you can finish the second eye, even if in the photograp it is hidden behind the hair.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий